Wet Wipes Could Be Associated With Allergies
The Science Daily reports on the findings of a dermatologist who highlights that the preservative in many pre-moistened wet wipes is linked to a dramatic rise in allergic reactions.
A chemical referred to as MI (methylisothiazolinone) is commonly used in many water-based products such as liquid soaps, hair shampoo, sunscreen, laundry products and cleaners as well as pre-moistened personal hygiene products and baby wipes.
The reaction can be red, raised, itchy skin. Commonly areas affected by the allergic reaction are hands and fingers, from handling the wipes and babies bottoms, faces and hands from using the wipes.
It is thought that using the wet wipes could be creating a breach in the skin’s natural protective barrier which makes it more sensitive to unusual chemicals. If the wet wipe soap residues are not rinsed off, babies could possibly absorb allergy-causing chemicals. This is particularly true for children who already have a genetic disposition for developing allergies that are like with conditions like eczema.
We live in a world surrounded by chemicals, under the kitchen sink, in our bathrooms as well as in stores where chemicals are used in furniture, floorings, cosmetics, etc. The more we can avoid using such products but instead use chemical free commodities the better for our health and those who may share our homes.
For those with difficult to manage chemical allergies treatments such as desensitisation are available.