You are viewing this site in staging mode. Click in this bar to return to normal site.
Summary of the Big Health News in 2017
- Fasting is now recognised to have a major role in rekindling health.
- Taking vitamins in pregnancy reduces the risk of its complications.
- Vitamin D, apart from strengthening the bones, also helps to reduce risk of colds and chest infections.
- 10 portions of fruits and vegetables (800 gr) a day significantly reduces the risk of premature death. The "5 -a- day" was promoted as a step to the right direction.
- Eating fat improves your life expectancy (it reduces the risk of the most common causes of cancer).
- Staying fit with exercise and sports, reduces the risk of falls and fractures later in life and extends life expectancy.
- HRT is back on the table! Still associated with a small increased risk of breast cancer but improved bone health, diabetes and sleep.
- Aspirin - a small dose reduces the risk of some cancers and it is linked with extended life span but comes with a risk of gastric bleed amongst the elderly.
- Regular use of coffee is linked with reduced risk of dying from diabetes, stroke, cancer, kidney and lung disease.
- Traffic pollution (especially free radical from diesel exhaust fumes) are responsible for 48,000 - 52,000 deaths from cardiovascular and lung disease and cancer per annum in UK cities.
- Diet drinks come with an increased risk of stroke.
- Sleep problems are a bad predictor for Alzheimer's disease.
- Painkillers and non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAI's), used for decades, do little to control pain and increase risk of cardiac arrest.
- Being overweight or obese is firmly linked with many common conditions and shortened life expectancy.
- Sugar, apart from increasing the risk of diabetes, cardiovascular disease and cancer, is also linked with mental illness.