Rheumatoid Arthritis and Osteoarthritis
Progressive inflammation of joints or wear and tear.
What is arthritis?
Rheumatoid arthritis refers to the progressive inflammation of one or more joints which mostly affects people in younger adulthood and beyond. It tends to be more aggressive with more debilitating symptoms. Prostaglandins are substances generated in inflamed joints thought to be the "pain messages" while endorphins are known to counteract their effects.
Cause of arthritis
Clearly, some types of arthritis can be explained as wear and tear, which is expected as some sports enthusiasts grow older; Medicine has made vast progress in recent years to perfect operations of joint replacement. There is considerable material to suggest that arthritis, osteo- or rheumatoid-, are the result of localised inflammation linked with the immune system. The immune system is the buffer between a person's chemistry and his or her environment and habitat. Several studies suggest that diet, infections or immune reactions may have a strong causal role to play in various types of arthritis. Identifying such factors is essential in any attempt to reverse the disease.
During the last 60 years, clinicians in different countries published their observations on patients whose arthritis pains would miraculously clear on occasions when they were unable to eat for a few days, for example, because of acute gastroenteritis. Several studies carried out consistently linked joint pain with various foods, but the absence of accurate laboratory tests hindered further research. Another confusing issue is that different individuals don't seem to react to the same foods.
Osteoarthritis has a strong association with simple food intolerance. Rheumatoid arthritis is linked with food intolerances, allergy to some common inhalant allergens and or frequent contact with chemical emissions, e.g. gas, detergents, formaldehyde and others.
Treatment of Arthritis
- A careful history can offer specific clues on possible causes.
- With food tests and simple changes in the diet, reactive foods can be earmarked and replaced with safer items.
- Many of our clients are delighted to regain their mobility and freedom from pain with the minor inconvenience of having to be extra vigilant with certain foods.
- Rheumatoid arthritis has more complex underlying causes, which are also amenable to accurate detection and control.
- We check important antioxidant nutrients in blood tests in order to correct any deficiencies and for their anti-inflammatory effects.
Contact us if you have further questions or to make an appointment for a consultation.